LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

04 Buick Lesabre Fuel Lever Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Question 04 Buick Lesabre Fuel Lever Sensor Problem

My 1st post.

At 135,000 miles my gas gage started to act up. When I filled the tank it would indicate full, and worked properly until it got down to 1/2 tank. It then would be very erratic suddenly jump to full or empty.

I pulled the pump/fuel level sensor module and the curved up portion of the top wiper fingers of the sensor were worn off and it was bearly touching the wiper surface. So it looks like it is a sensor sending problem and not the gage.

Went to AutoZone and picked up a new module with pump and fuel level sensor, everything looked the same except the four wire connector, it had the four connections in a row rather than is a square orentiation. It came with a new connector and I cut the old wire and using the crimps supplied installed the new connector.

After fighting to get the top metal swist lock back in place So hard to get it on. I connected up the connections.

Turned the key on and heard the pump running. The gas gage immediately went to the FULL position (even there was less than 2 gallons in the tank) then after about 20 seconds it went and stayed at the empty position. Hmmm sounds not too bad.

Filled the tank up and started the car then after about 20 seconds it went and stayed at the empty position. OK this is not right.

Went back to AutoZone and got another new fuel pump module and connected it up to the wiring, and had it laying in the trunk. Set the float to the full position and turned the key on, after about 20 seconds it went and stayed at the empty position.

I did the smae thing at the 1/2 full and empty positions and turned the key on, after about 20 seconds it went and stayed at the empty position.

When I crimped the wires I pulled on them to check that the wires were crimped and each wire did not pull out.

AutoZone say's it's probally a problem with the gas gage in the dash, I kind of don't think so since it was indicating kind of properly and I found an obvious problem in the fuel sensing wiper.

Sorry for rambling on sooo long, but I wanted to give you as much information as I could.

Thanks

SO. . .. . Any ideas?????

Last edited by MrChips; 04-06-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Is it possible the new wiring isn't correct? The older gauges used to go to full when the sending wire was grounded, The newer gauges behave differently and I suspect you may have the wire going to the gauge possibly connected to a ground. If you can do this , disconnect the present gauge and use your old gauge and see if you can get it to work close to correct even with the wiper worn. I know it will be a pain , but you need to prove out the gauge itself and that is one way to do it, yes you will need to use the old plug etc., but it's a lot easier than removing a gauge that might not be defective.