LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

’01 Lesabre Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:03 PM

Hello, my O1 Lesabre just went DOA. Engine runs, but after a bunch of popping noises in the front drive train, now it just sits and whirs and won't move out of it's tracks.

I was guessing CV Joints, no boots have visible damage, car has 70,000 miles 3.8L engine.

So after having it towed home, I procede with diagnosis. No parts store, dealer, or repair guys had much to offer as to what it might be. One said differential as a possible cause.

I'd serviced this tranny some months back to find a few metal filings and tiny roller bearing roller and tiny shavings of metal, not brass, but steel looking, shiny.

So I pull the pan on the transmission to find more of the same, filings about 1/4 inch long and sheared off looking. There were some small pieces irregular shape. IF you made a dough ball of all the material it would be the size of half a golf ball maybe. Sounds like tranny problems to me. I didn't pull the filter and see if there was anything in there.

Any suggestions? Buckle it up and take to a tranny place? Thanks in Advance, Bruce

Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 PM

[img]uploads/bdickey/B12A6_MVC-543S.JPG[/img]

Edited by: bdickey

Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 AM

YICK .DOA [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]trannie. Some trannie places may try to rebuild it..$1800. I wouldnt do that. Get another. Listen for the word REMANUFACTURED and not Rebuilt. Swapping the trannie is about $300-500.
You may get a wrecked trannie from a yard to save some $$. You still have good miles left on the engine. Make sure cooler is flushed too to get them bits out of the system.
Sorry.. Theres usually a magnet on the pan to catch the metal filings that are magetic but that dont matter now. Those pieces may be from clutch plates and aluminum parts.

I think those trannies have been pretty reliable. Maybe someone is a little rough on it.

SORRY... [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 PM

Well, the tranny was rebuilt by a trusted Transmission guy. $1200. What was the matter, you'd never believe it. This car is driven by a school teacher who putters around in it, so no rough treatment.

The car took a 700 mile trip just before the tranny failed. Fluids fine. Guess what killed it off? A low tire. 15 Lbs/sq in in LF while it had 35 lbs/sq in in RF, and it drove perfectly, without a sensor telling me the tire was low. That caused the differential to overwork and heat up. The spline in the middle of the differential shelled out. The pieces you see in the pics came from the spline.

Rebuilt tranny is great after two weeks of operation. I hope they blew out the cooler? Anyway it all worked out fine. Now get this, the tranny going out led to a great series of events. With 71,000 miles, the car has some miles left in it.

Here is what happened during repairs. After transmission was fixed, we had heavy bearing noise up front. It took weeks to commit to fix that. Yep, RF wheel bearings were out, new one quieted the front end. $200.

That led to an ABS light going off repeatedly plus the brakes were vibrating weirdly backing out the drive, ABS system was actually kicking in. Turned out to be a misplaced ant-rattle clip during the bearing replacement. That led to the mechanics request to turn the RF rotor which is what he felt was causing the ABS to flutter? So I requested turning the LF as well, so they would mate up in use. They needed it. $60, they gave me a break due to the fact the light was on when we picked up the car and they didn't catch it.

I was waved over by the mechanic when doing the LF rotor. He showed me the LF tie rod end had blown the rubber seal. It was hanging out of the tie rod. Wiggling the joint, it's apparent it needs replacing due to slop as well. Next stop the front end shop.

LF tie rod was installed as well as a front end alignment. Due to the bearing replacement the factory setting on the camber was off, or maybe due to wear? They had to install cam bolts allowing adjustment. Another $200.

This morning I sucked all the brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir and poured in some fresh. I know, the system needs flushing. I added .5 quart to the new tranny rebuild Dexron 3. Also topped off the DexCool in the antifreeze reservoir. Checked all the tire pressures and adjusted. So, momma's baby is back on the road. Thanks for the post, Bruce

Old 09-16-2006, 11:33 PM

Interesting.. I suppose I would note the low tires but...who knows. To bad on the bucks.. wow .. lots wrong there..

Nice posting... Love the pix.. hope you get some good miles on the car. I have 220 on my LeSabre. Had to change the CRS. But still going...

Interesting on the Camber.. Im preparing to replace a bearing on my Park Avenue to get my ABS working again (sensor bad).The allignment is so good right now.. hate to mess it up.

94' LeSabre, 94' Park Ultra.. Ultra was a freebe but needed stuff , tires, exhaust, carpet, allignment, battery.

Good luck .. Edited by: bassasasin

Old 09-17-2006, 02:17 AM

Just got back in town from a 150 mile trip in the LeSabre o1. Drove like a dream. After dropping $1700 in it, the ride should make it a while now. Nothing like dependable transportation. I think I'll let that LF tire down to 15 lbs and go for a drive, just to see if the LOW Tire light is working. IF that was it, I'm gonna be death on checking tire pressures every fillup. Thanks for the responses. Bruce www.dickeyguitars.com

Old 09-17-2006, 05:05 PM

[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]I usually look at how the tires set on ground. Looking from above I figure a slight bulge of about 1/4 inch while on level ground (gas pumps).
Temps changes it a bit but still somewhat close.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/index.php

Happy driving.. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Edited by: bassasasin