Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

help please problems with 1978 buick electra

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020 | 06:21 PM
|
Default help please problems with 1978 buick electra

i have just recently purchased a 1978 buick electra limited 4 door V8 403 6.6 liter that has been sitting for thirty years in a garage. theres some problems but here are the main two. the gas pedal has zero tension. its straight to the ground and i pick it up it just flops back down. someone tried to break into the car but failed and now there is a big hole on the side of the steering column. it cannot be started with a key but by doing something with a screwdriver in the hole. im not sure what or how thats just what the owner did to start it for me. i dont wanna take out the entire steering column assembly i just wanna fix what i can from inside the car. provided is a photo and a video link showing the two issues. hopefully someone can help me with my issues. thanks

video:

Old 05-02-2020 | 06:57 PM

If you can locate a GM vehicle in a salvage yard with a similar steering column set up , (Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile ) that would be the better way to tackle this. You are going to need some special tools to handle the tilt wheel section and it would be a good idea to do some homework on this first. Sorry no shortcuts here.

Old 05-02-2020 | 07:01 PM
|

Originally Posted by hanky
If you can locate a GM vehicle in a salvage yard with a similar steering column set up , (Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile ) that would be the better way to tackle this. You are going to need some special tools to handle the tilt wheel section and it would be a good idea to do some homework on this first. Sorry no shortcuts here.
i have already done that and i do have the tools to do this i just need to know if theres any way to get the housing off or if i have to work and get all the middle parts out to replace the housing and "wire" because i do not know what i am missing that is not making it start.

Old 05-03-2020 | 02:47 PM

First, I don't even know if you can purchase the needed parts for that year. Have you checked if they are available for purchase?

Second,,,,,You just need power going to the + side of the coil when the key is on and the starter is operating.
Next , Did you check if you have spark?
I believe the vehicle has a carburetor. Are you sure fuel is getting up to the carb?
These are basic checks, let us know if any are absent.

Old 05-03-2020 | 05:15 PM
|

the car runs beautifully starts right up with the screwdriver jammed in somewhere in that hole with the key in the ignition but i dont wanna do that everytime i wanna start the car so im trying to repair the steering column completely and yes i have another steering column im using for parts for this car. thanks for the information about the power going to the coil ill see what i can do